Skip to main content

Are Credit Checks Legal When Looking For Work?

Short answer: Unfortunately, yes.



Long answer:  This is an area where things get a bit gray.  


Certainly, it seems a strange thing to look at and perhaps it starts to broach a little close to the discrimination based on socio-economic situation and background.

Actually, no, I take that back.


It definitely steps over that line, in my opinion.

While some companies will toe a corporate policy line and plead "risk mitigation" all they want, it still comes down to one word -- Discrimination.  If the reason you have decided not to hire someone is because they owe money to varying places due to being out of work and those bills they had to "let go" for a few months, even a few years (who cares at this point, because the fact is they could not afford to pay them because they didn't have work) and you won't hire them because of it you are assuming that they will not make a good employee based on the fact that they are too poor for your liking.

That is, in my book, discrimination.  It's legal, but it doesn't make it right.


As someone (and I'm not ashamed to admit it) who comes from that kind of a background where my parents always lived paycheque to paycheque and who didn't get the same advantages as others whose parents could afford to buy a car, even if on credit, and lived in a house.  I have always had issues finding work because I couldn't afford to finish college because I had to find work to pay for food and put a roof over my head because my parents couldn't afford to help me out when I needed it in order to finish.

And I have paid for it ever since... I have had to work in jobs that didn't pay the same as I could have made had I finished college.  I have had situations arise where I had to skip paying a bill in order to pay for surprise expenses, but I have always managed to catch up again because I put in the extra time to do so.

Okay, Kristan, what's the point here?


I have accrued debts, I know that, but I have always worked to pay them off.  What bugs me is that there is a certain company, among others, that will not hire people like me because that's our social and economic background.

They call it risk mitigation.

I call it discrimination.

I am more motivated to go into work because I know exactly what will happen if I don't.  I'm not the only one in my city, or even in my province... or even in my country... who has been turned away by companies like these and then told we're not working hard enough to 'catch up'.

They call it risk mitigation.

They can call it whatever they want.

It's still discrimination, and that's why I'm going to fight it.  Not just for me, and not just this company.  I mean for the others in my situation and against this type of discrimination.  I will not stop fighting until it's called for what it is and it becomes illegal.

Discrimination is wrong, it doesn't matter if it's racial, gender, religious... or economic.


Keep calling it risk mitigation.

I won't stop until it gets called by its real name, and that name is discrimination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Pokemon Go works (or why I went from being a hater to loving it)

Okay, by now everyone and their brother have probably heard about Pokemon Go.  When it first came out I was like many who thought it was stupid.  People are running around, trying to catch a fake monster on their phones and tablets, and someti
mes being really stupid and trespassing, walking off of cliffs or into traffic.

Not for me.

So, what made me change my mind?

It had everything to do with researching everything I could find on it, including how it works and what makes the programming tick.

(Disclaimer: This blog post is not meant as a gameplay guide.  You may get a few tips and tricks from it, but the intent to find such is not here)

The first thing to note is how the Pokemon spawn rate works.

First things first:  If you're sitting someplace rural, you're probably SOL.  The reason is that the spawn rate/chance is directly linked to cell data and how many people in that area are actually playing or have played recently.  It doesn't matter if there is a Pokestop with a…

Author Interview: Kat Caffee (Author of the Followers of Torment Series)

This is outside of the Book Blog Tour, but I had the opportunity to "sit down" (ie: chat online with) another talented author, and the only day I had was today.  Out of that chat came this fantastic interview with author Kat Caffee, author of the fantasy series, the Followers of Torment.  She has a new book coming out, and a brand spanking new website.

What better time than now to post this?

Exactly what I thought!

The Interview
1) When did you first discover your love for writing?
I’m actually an “accidental author” to be honest.  I’ve been a story teller from a very young age (somewhere back around 2nd or 3rd grade if memory serves), but I have always had trouble getting the stories down into some form of long-term form.  The current saga I’m working on, and the series that are lining up at the doors behind it, are the first stories that have come through the fires with any hope of completion.  I’ve had to take a brief detour right now, before I can honor the tone behind my …

Between Silence and Fire - Book Three of the Kingdom of Walden Series - On Shelves October 28th, 2016

I'm really pleased to announce that the third book of the Kingdom of Walden Series, Between Silence and Fire, will be on shelves everywhere on October 28th, 2016. Some retailers already are selling it (Kindle) but you have one last week to wait if you want the hardcover.  It's almost here.
I can't believe it's been four years since I first wrote After Oil and started this whole thing.  You guys have been amazing in pushing me to keep the series going.  I'm sure some of you have also noticed the change from "Trilogy" to "Series"...
... Why is that?
Well, it's not a trilogy anymore!
You wanted more - and now you've got it.  I have already written (and apparently on Kobo it, too, is available for pre-order now) the fourth book of this series, Ghostwalker.  Ghostwalker will pick up almost immediately after this one ends... and you won't have as long a wait between this book and Ghostwalker.  Unlike these past three books, Ghostwalker wa…