Skip to main content

From Concept to Shelves: First Steps

From Concept to Shelves:  First Steps

It's fairly obvious by now that for a writer to stay in business she needs to keep writing.  In that spirit I decided to do something a little different.  You are about to follow the entire process -- from concept and research of a new novel to the final realization of seeing it on shelves.

This is the first post in this series and it's about (no surprise here) about coming up with a concept, a basic idea, of what the novel is likely going to be about before we get into the research.

This is part of the Planning Stages; that initial first plunge into the unknown before we start drafting.  For most writers this is also the longest and it's both frustrating and exciting.  Why is it frustrating?  Well, think of it this way -- you're not sure what exactly you're looking at.  It's the blank page... actually, no... it's worse.

With a blank page at least you have an idea of what it is you want to write.

Here... you have no idea.  You need to think of that idea and seed before you can move onto anything else.  This can take years, or it can be in a flash of inspiration and you just need to start now.

Normally it's a mix of both.

Moving forward we'll assume the idea has already been dreamt up.  In this case I refer to the first part already being done which means I already generally know what the novel plot will likely consist of as well as the genre, and perhaps even a few of the major players in it.

Nothing really specific -- the novel is still an amorphic concept with no real form, plot, or even definitive characters or settings.  It's just a very general idea and I still have to fill in the specifics through research and planning the definite plot... and yet more research to make sure what I have in mind actually fits.

But how does a writer get to even this part?

Well, that's the tricky part.  There really is no real hard and fast rule for finding something original -- or original enough for a writer to put their own unique spin on an old idea -- to create something at even this embryonic concept stage.  The world around us teems with ideas but the magic in writing lays in plucking something out that ether and making something else... something finished and ready to publish in the end.

I do this by going out and living a life as full as I can.  I meet people and I talk to them.  I work another job outside of my writing in order to have something to pull me out into the world.  I also do this by reading and researching with no real aim in mind -- just learning for the joy of finding something new to experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Pokemon Go works (or why I went from being a hater to loving it)

Okay, by now everyone and their brother have probably heard about Pokemon Go.  When it first came out I was like many who thought it was stupid.  People are running around, trying to catch a fake monster on their phones and tablets, and someti
mes being really stupid and trespassing, walking off of cliffs or into traffic.

Not for me.

So, what made me change my mind?

It had everything to do with researching everything I could find on it, including how it works and what makes the programming tick.

(Disclaimer: This blog post is not meant as a gameplay guide.  You may get a few tips and tricks from it, but the intent to find such is not here)

The first thing to note is how the Pokemon spawn rate works.

First things first:  If you're sitting someplace rural, you're probably SOL.  The reason is that the spawn rate/chance is directly linked to cell data and how many people in that area are actually playing or have played recently.  It doesn't matter if there is a Pokestop with a…

Between Silence and Fire - Book Three of the Kingdom of Walden Series - On Shelves October 28th, 2016

I'm really pleased to announce that the third book of the Kingdom of Walden Series, Between Silence and Fire, will be on shelves everywhere on October 28th, 2016. Some retailers already are selling it (Kindle) but you have one last week to wait if you want the hardcover.  It's almost here.
I can't believe it's been four years since I first wrote After Oil and started this whole thing.  You guys have been amazing in pushing me to keep the series going.  I'm sure some of you have also noticed the change from "Trilogy" to "Series"...
... Why is that?
Well, it's not a trilogy anymore!
You wanted more - and now you've got it.  I have already written (and apparently on Kobo it, too, is available for pre-order now) the fourth book of this series, Ghostwalker.  Ghostwalker will pick up almost immediately after this one ends... and you won't have as long a wait between this book and Ghostwalker.  Unlike these past three books, Ghostwalker wa…

The Zen of Inbox Zero

What most people don't realize about me is that I'm incredibly organized.  
I have to have a clear and clutter-free desktop (both on my computer and physically) and even my emails have to be cleared from my inbox.

I don't mean deleting them--I mean the zen of having a place for everything and filing it away to its place like you would with your various papers in life and your office.  This has a few benefits to me, and others who subscribe to the philosophy.  First off, to move an email to its corresponding folder means you've dealt with it and if you need to deal with it again later, it is easily found in the folder.  Mind you, using Gmail also has another benefit which is the search utility, but I still like to organize it all into the various folders and sometimes even subfolders because I like knowing... just knowing... where things are.

To open my inbox and only see emails that I haven't dealt with (or none at all) leaves me with this sense of peace that I hav…